Wednesday, August 18, 2010

the good AND the bad

so a long time ago I threw out the idea that we should have a weekly team meeting to go over our projects, updates, etc. aka how it is in America. It happened about once in the beginning after the idea was thrown out,  but then kind of fizzled. However, we just started it back up again as my co-worker mentioned he wanted to make this a very professional office. I was thrilled and thought it was a great idea...every Wednesday at 3pm. We had our first one this week, and although it started out great (and finished well I would say)...somewhere in the middle I got called racist by a different co-worker. In his defense I think he mistakenly interpreted me saying 'don't insult my intelligence' for 'I'm more intelligent than you'...so who knows. Luckily I controlled myself and followed up how it's common for teams to have problems but that it's important to handle them in a professional, constructive, and polite manner. However I did get back at him just a little when I turned to him and said 'For example, calling me racist was out of line.'  I don't want to get into the details as it's not important, but basically it got pulled out as one of those 'I've got nothing else so this is a last resort' kind of line.  anyways, still felt it was a successful meeting as it opened the door for the team to meet once a week to talk and get these problems out! I know this isn't the happiest of blogs but I just want to be real about stuff! Oh and to end on a good note- went to a dance show for elementary school kids and I will say that I had a great time as Fiji NEVER lets me down on providing bumpin' songs...plus sneaking some grog in added to the fun!

1 comment:

  1. just got off the phone with my mom. she always asks about you. hope your meeting goes well this week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete