Friday, May 22, 2009

I'm in Fiji!

Bula/Nasasmte/Raam raam everybody!
We arrived safely in Fiji (after a ridiculously long journey) 2 days ago...I think...I lost track after all that traveling. It's been great though because the pc staff has been very welcoming! The other trainees are really cool- we're staying in these bungalow type bure's for now and then we'll be moving in with our host families on Monday.Don't hate me but the area the bure's are located in is SO BEAUTIFUL and picturesque. It has an awesome view of a river and also of the pacific ocean. I've been assigned to learn Fiji- Hindi which is really exciting..because I love Indian food! whoop! there are only 3 of us learning Hindi and the rest are learning Fijian. We'll live in a settlement/village with our host families until June. Then we'll move into our sites- I don't know where I'll be going yet. My language instructors are really cool though...hopefully I'll pick it up quickly.

Yesterday morning we had our welcome ceremony- yes, that included grog or yangona as they say. Don't worry mom, I only had one shell of it. Later on that night we had a chance to hang out more with the staff and drink a little more grog...it makes your tongue go numb within the first minute but I haven't had enough for any other extremities to go numb....yet. jk.

The food is pretty good too....A lot of rice, dalo- this tasteless potato thing, chop suey (stir fry), this amazing fish and tomato and I think coconut milk dish. The fruit is SERIOUSLY amazing...Papaya (or Papita in Hindi) is BOMB.

Getting to wear sulu's and long skirts is pretty fun. It's nice to not have to worry about crossing your legs or anything, the only thing you do have to worry about it not flashing anyone when you sit down. Don't worry...I haven't done that/don't plan on having that happen. One thing that is very interesting though is working out with a skirt...that's definitely an adjustment.. We're going to get pics of that on Monday so I'll post some pics when I can.

Ok so I really don't have a lot of time, I'm in a Internet cafe and we are our in the city in Nausori for the first time! It's crazy...I still can't believe I'm here.

As always, I miss and love you all!
Namaste/Fir malega,

2 comments:

  1. haha. glad you're enjoying your time so far....as for working out in your skirt. the trick is to wear long shorts under a sulu, walk to the main road & then run with the sulu in hand...if that's what you're doing to work out. Even the Fijians use that trick to get a good work out in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're there! I'm relieved for you that the food is good. I was afraid I would have to send you abox of choco granola every week. Not that I wouldn't. Let me know if you want some.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete