Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Back to Basics









I'm pretty sure most of you know I had a WONDERFUL time back home; it was definitely needed!
I finally got back to my house just last night. The new PC volunteers arrive today actually, and I signed up to help train them on all things Hindu. So this past Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I've been at a TOT (TOT= Training of Trainers) workshop at the PC office. At first I was annoyed I was nervous since I wasn't going to have time to drop my stuff off at my house then come back into Suva, but by the time I arrive in Suva on Sunday, I was quite happy I was getting to stay at the Cap Hotel for those few days- just to sorry of 'detox' from America and ease myself back into the Fijian way slowly. :0) Although, I will say the first meal I had there (well, minus the cream bun I had for breakfast which I had very much missed) was a PB & Marshmallow creme puff sandwich aka all things American. :0)
I spoke with some of the older vol's about by not-so-much-excited-about-retuning attitude and they said they ALL felt that way. They said it takes about a week and then you feel like you HAVE been rejuvenated. Plus I spoke with another vol and she said that if she went home at this point she definitely wouldn't come back; so I HAD to give myself a pat on the back. :0) I'm excited to meet the new volunteers though, I think their excitement will be refreshing!
AND Best news of all, I came back to the office today (where I met my goodhi aka Roshni, the reason I come to this crazy office) and she told me that since I've been away, the office has been pleasant to work in...which I know that sounds silly, but that's something I've been working on since day one. It's hard being a woman in a developing country and as a worker, they often get used and abused (not physically of course). And over time, I've been trying to get people to make little changes so that the office is not only a good one to work in but also efficient. So that made my day today! I always worry about Roshni and what will happen after I leave and how she'll be treated, but it meant so much to me that things were ok. whew!
Overall, it's good to be back though! It's back to picking fresh veggies and fruits from the backyard and cleaning mold off my things. I DO love this place! :0)

1 comment:

  1. hey cray cray,

    so happy to read that youre re-adjusting and so proud to read that youve been able to make a difference already. i love you and miss you!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete