Sunday, April 3, 2011

Things I thought I'd never be able to say or do until I met Fiji:

-get knocked in the shin by a lady holding a frozen chicken while walking through town.
-be able to eat rice and curry with my HANDS and thus be able to hold up my hand to show that I've eaten (stained yellow from the turmeric powder)
-make peace with [count it]: cockroaches, lizards, spiders, ants, and flies.
-find myself laughing now when a super smelly person sits next to me on the bus
-have a multitude of illnesses: especially having stomach issues and not be anywhere near an accessible toilet (despite being in a city)
-enjoy cooking- makes me appreciate the wonderful selection of cheeses and cooking items in America.
-(On the flip side) being able to go out to my backyard and pick as many fresh and organic eggplants, long beans, papaya's, bananas, pumpkins, spinach, bok choy, dalo leaves, bele leaves, cilantro, mint and lemons as I want to!
-ride in the backseat while the driver was drinking beers with a friend and NOT being able to do anything about it...just because I was a woman.

Bananas Foster from my bro!! :o) miss that kid.

GOTTA LOVE the signs/stickers here in fiji




The latest: First ever International Womens Day Celebration with Sanatan 8 March 2011

 Lately I've been finding myself on an emotional roller coaster though: going from really loving this place and trying to soak it up...but then Fiji happens. Aka I go from SUPER enjoying the dusty yet beautiful walk home, loving hanging out with my community here (sharing stuff and eating, of course) but then back to being ready to go when I wake up in the morning and want to go for a run....only to find my brand new running shoes GONE. Fiji just happens. But it's still good. you just find yourself laughing when stuff goes wrong. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment