Sunday, June 19, 2011

'Staying strong until the end!'

Without Sunlight, there is no Moonlight
 This last blog goes out to Roshni, someone who I believe I was sent here to meet, work with, and share so much with. Without her, God only knows where or what I'd be doing. It's so crazy, her name means 'Sunlight' in Hindi and mine just so happens to mean 'Moonlight'. Roshni and Chandani. The day I realized this I was on the verge of tears; I just realized how much she means to me, how her ability to give is an unyielding force much like the sun, and how I don't think I would have been successful in my community here without her. It was truly meant to be. It's amazing, and it's Chisu (Jesus). As much as I'm SO ready to be HOME, everytime I think of leaving her, I blubber like a baby. However, if someone were to ask me what I'm most proud of or my greatest accomplishment, this would be my answer: Among all the things I've shared with Roshni, computers, working as a businesswoman, etc, I feel privileged that I had the opportunity to be able to teach her her worth as a woman and as a hard worker. Above all things, I believe this to matter most...and it's definitely taken two years for her and myself to come to this realization.  I look at her and see how she's now able to stand up for herself and is such a bright, professional, and caring businesswoman. She is the epitome of compassionate, and I will never forget it. 

My last breast cancer workshop and first HIV/AIDS one as well!

Lately it's been SUPER BUSY with closing up things in the office, continuing to do breast cancer workshops  (still so fun!), introducing new HIV/AIDS workshops into my community, and then also visiting with my community on evenings & weekends! As much as I've been stressed out I've still enjoyed it (although shout-out to my friends and family who I've called whilst mid-breakdown, it's helped more than you know).

These last few weeks have been really great because I feel like I've actually seen and heard ways that my presence has actually changed the office for the better. Listening in on conversations where men are talking about the importance of women and have realized just how hard they work, especially here in Fiji. I truly feel like I was constantly challenging my organization to better themselves...and turns out, I succeeded! I'm not trying to toot my own horn, believe you me, I just feel better about leaving Roshni here in a more positive working environment.
I donated these flowers to the office, that way when I come back they'll all be abloom!

Now I march on to eat my last few meals of curry (last night I had some of THE best fish curry I think I've ever had) and tonight will be my last grog sitting at my host family's house. I'm pumped!


Once again, thank you to all my friends and family who have supported me the past two years, it's really meant a lot to me. I hope I've kept you slightly entertained while reading this ridiculous blog and that I'll get to see you upon returning home! Fijian grog, Indian snacks, and maybe even some Fijian Bounty Rum will be at the house on Sunday the 26th for lunch!

My Bhabi cleaning some mussels for curry!


Cheers,
Vinaka Vaka Levu (Thank you very much in Fijian),
Bahut DHaanywaad (Thank you very much in Hindi)
and MOCE (see you later in Fijian)!

1 comment:

  1. Hola Courtney: Soy docente en Colombia. Admiro el trabajo que desarrollan los miembros de Cuerpos de Paz alrededor del mundo. ¡Una gran tarea!¡Felicitaciones!

    Hi, I have been visiting your blog. ¡Congratulations for your work! I invite you to visit my blog about literature, philosophy and films:
    http://alvarogomezcastro.over-blog.es

    Greetings from Santa Marta, Colombia

    ReplyDelete