Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Ramayan/Cultural afternoon

Ok so it was Nukomoto's turn to host a cultural afternoon and I can't say that we did anything short of rocking it. After viewing this event I really realized how awesome the Hindustani culture is about helping their family and friends...seriously. First all the men came together and constructed this giant tin shed using ropes, poles, and pieces of tin. They also made a small stage with cinder blocks and wood for the ramayaan singers, the Pundit, and the holy book.

The women get together and help the night before and all the next day. Everyone shows up with their roti rolling pin and and rolling pad thing and with their best cutting knives. This actually was my favorite part. It was really fun to just sit around and goof off (yes, I did learn some dirty hindustani words that day...it's all in good fun) with all the women and learn how to make some rockin Hindi food. The people really appreciate it when you are not only learning their language but also learning how to make their foods and such. I had such a wonderful time with my Uma kakii (grandma-ish lady) and all of my Bhabi's (women and friends who are all the wives in the settlement)....And just to get slightly off topic, that's another thing- everyone says 'Hey brother, or hey sister' even to people who you aren't relatives or aren't very good friends with. You don't really use names here...I think asking someone their name is like asking a lady with a refined age, ' just exactly how old are you?'

But anyways, I seriously enjoyed the goofing off part and getting to know the women in my settlement better. BUT after the 100th puri (fried roti) had been rolled I was about ready cut all of my fingers so I wouldn't have to do anything. That's about the time when I started getting a headache because my Matajii likes to not only talk to me very quickly in Hindi, but also loudly. So pretty much any attempt I make to understand her is taken over by my nerves because I'm being hollered at. (oh and another thing- don't remember if I mentioned this, but despite the fact that Fijians have such a soft and natural tone when they speak-Hindustani people clearly chose not to adopt this characteristic. They are awesome at reaching octaves I know I can't scream at in 0.2 seconds....so what I'm really saying is that it's a cultural thing when I say 'holler' it's really just talking quickly in a VERY high pitched tone).



But all in all it was a wonderful day, as soon as everyone arrived we had a roti rolling and bean and potato curry demonstration (don't worry mom, I AM learning how to cook). Then we showed all the spices and seasonings Hindustani people use. The Hardi is that stuff I know everyone is thinking of that DOES stain your fingers yellow temporarily. But the food really doesn't taste like the curry I thought of in the US. The mixture of all of their seasonings is SO good. But then we served all the food- palau, pumpkin curry, salad (sliced carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, salt, and chili juice...SO good), been and potato curry, dahl, and rice.



Then we had a short Ramayaan where my older brother came and helped translate what some of the scripture said. My oldest brother is so nice. He said the sweetest thing about me being in their family; he kept saying 'My sister, Chandni,..' which really meant a lot to me. Then he said, in light of all of the volunteers staying in their villages, that even though things can be taken away, that you can be taken away from someone's sight, the memories still remain in the heart. (It sounded a lot better when he said all of it).

During the Ramayaan Krissy and I got to sit on stage though, right next to my Pitajii. At first he put two chairs right in front of and facing the stage for us to sit in (whattt???). Even though everyone else would have been 10 feet behind us. So if you can picture how awkward that would have been, then you feel my pain. But we did end up talking him into letting us sit beside him on stage, so that ended up well.

Then we had the prasaad and the raffle drawings where- get this- I DREW MY OWN NUMBER!!! I couldn't believe it, I feel very lucky here, I feel like in the US I never won anything but I seem to be very lucky here. Thank you Paguan (God in Hindi.)

No comments:

Post a Comment