Thursday, September 10, 2009

Netball!

OK so, here in Fiji- Boys play Rugby and girls play Netball. Netball is a combination of basketball and ultimate frisbee. It's pretty much more like ultimate frisbee but you throw a basketball and also the goal that you shoot the basketball into doesn't have a backboard. After coming back form a pooja mid-day and after meeting with the principal on official business, I marched right outside (wearing my fancy Indian clothes...the long shirt with baggy pants) and joined the PE girls. I'm pretty sure they were all laughing at me because not only do I look ridiculous when I run (I'm bowl-legged and stick my butt out when I run...not by choice) and also happened to be wearing hilarious bright yellow indian clothes, so I don't blame them. I think my favorite part of this game was how no one was wearing shoes! I'm pretty sure the only game people wear shoes with is soccer because you have to kick the ball. My feet are definitely a lot rougher now since I've been here but I was shocked at how I didn't notice I wasn't wearing shoes while playing. Totally reminded me of my 'off shoes' day(s) back in college with all my best friends- special shoutout to all my afc-ers. Yes, I DID walk into restrooms (in the USA..NOT in Fiji) wearing no shoes. I'm going to see that as God's way of getting me ready for Fiji. haha But all in all it was a fun game and I am planning on playing with them again for sure. And another special shoutout to someone who would personally enjoy the fact they have something similar to ultimate frisbee here in Fiji. Kudos to the guy with the alias 'Jazz Hands', someone whom I think would definitely rock netball. haha

Ok, miss you guys! :0)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Miga!! I used to play netball back in the homeland/Middle East. Best game ever :)

    ReplyDelete