Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Death by Giant Green Eel anyone?

Check.

Mom and I pre-dive and waiting for the boat to come!





Geared up and ready to go!

After this island we crossed the somosomo strait and headed to Taveuni. Which is known for being a really beautiful with awesome diving!!! which it was! I went out on my first 2-tank dive here! The first place we went was Rainbow's end where my first dive was 62 ft for 51 min. On that dive we saw lots of cool fish..some shown in the pics below. My favorite/most nervous moment was when we saw a giant green eel. AT first, when I saw it's head, maybe the size of small pie, I thought, 'that's not that big.' But as i kept staring, and watched it move around beneath the coral. I saw what gives it the name 'giant' in which I caught a glimpse of it's midsection (which is about the size of santa claus' thigh) where my immediate thought was, 'ANACONDA!!!!!'


Napoleon Wrasse


Oriental Sweetlip (my 2nd fav)!



Fire Coral!



On the next dive in an area called Fish Factory, we got to see lots of pretty fish and more soft coral. My favorite coral is the soft, pink coral, and Fire Coral is super cool! We also had two rare sightings of a Blue Ribbon Eel..and a not so common occurrence here...a white tip shark! That was a little nerve racking but as I clung to my dive instructor's side..all was gravy. AND one of our other dive instructor's took out his air regulator and put his mouth really close to the cleaner fish! ANd they seriously came up and started cleaning his teeth! it was awesome.

2 comments:

  1. a small pie?! youre cray cray. looks super cool tho. i need to catch up on more of your life. k. late for a meeting. love you! miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT YOU!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! only TWO MORE WEEKS for suresies!

    ReplyDelete