Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Ride to Savusavu: aka THE SCARIEST PLANE RIDE of MY LIFE!


So the small 20 seater planes definitely aren't known for providing the smoothest ride of your life, and this plan ride confirmed what I had heard. Taking off was smooth and the ride over wasn't that bad either...it was just the landing that made me wish I was wearing a diaper. As the wind was whipping up back and forth to the left and right...the only thought that was going through my head was of course, 'why are we landing? why are we landing? WHY ARE WE LANDING!?' Sweet Jisu. As we landed I looked back and saw everyone glue to the back of their seats. And as we all celebrated that we still alive you could hear the pilots laughing (I assume at the fact that we SHOULDN'T have landed in those conditions...but its whatev). No worries. That happened. It will more than likely happen again. ***oh and this is a cool fact, we found out that the kind of plane that runs from Nausori and Savusavu (can't remember the name...something Otter) is THE oldest one running in the world. Maybe that's why inside the plane it looked like lawn chairs bolted to the plane floor.



The 2nd week we went to Savusavu, Vanua Levu (a city on the 2nd biggest island) that was right on the bay. The view was amazing and honestly, the people were so nice.


<- Mom getting some photos of the view from the hotel wearing her fancy new Indian get-up that my host family was adamant about buying for her. hilarious? YES. Anyways, Even though we encountered a serious case of bed bugs from the hotel we stayed at, we still went out snorkeling in three areas around the bay. The water was really clear, a little chilly, but it was fun to see really cool and pretty fish! My favorite was when we went to a small area called split rock and as soon as I got into the water a bunch of baby black and white butterfly fish (aka Gil from finding Nemo) swam up all around me. There were tons! but despite my efforts to touch one, and to make myself as seaweed-like as possible, they would always swim away just as i thought i was about to touch one. That day was a really sunny day, and it was neat to see how the sunlight shines through the water and makes the coral glisten almost. ANd seriously, it looked just like Finding Nemo in which it was like right after the coral stops, you see nothing but sea. It was amazing! And I don't think I'll ever forget the vision of my mother climbing into the boat. priceless. I think my favorite though was how on the first snorkel, the Fijian boat guy said he couldn't anchor as the coral was too shallow. He said he'd be 'around' and told us not to go too far. The water was pretty choppy, but I still took off in sheer excitement. Fancy Nancy was a little nervous, and after spending all but 2 seconds in the water, she clings to the side of the moving fiber boat and (of all things) shouts, 'When are we going to see the fish!??' Good thing the snorkel in my mouth masked my laughing, as the obvious answer to this question would be,' When you put your head in the water.' but I can't blame her though, anyone would be nervous in choppy, deep water and a not-stagnant boat.




These were some of my favorite fish from the snorkel in Savusavu!

No comments:

Post a Comment