Monday, December 7, 2009

Trick or Treat? TREAT= BIOLUMINESCENCE!!!

OK so I know this is a month late BUT I still wanted to let ppl know what I did for halloween. I mean, Idid try to explain the concept of halloween to fijians but I'm pretty sure the conversation ended with: 'But you don't eat the pumpkins?' -fijian ppl. And honestly, I have not a clue why we dont eat more of them. There's all kinds of delicious foods you can eat and yet all we do is carve them.
BUT for haloween a bunch of volunteers got together and headed to the northern part of the main island to a beautiful aread called Raki-Raki. We stayed in a dorm at a hotel called VOli-Voli. It was relaxing to get away and feel like an american. we went snorkeling and swimming and of course dressed up in our best 'Sexy Bula/fijian wear' that we could find. My outfit consisted of a tank top and sulu wrapped just above my knees- scandalous in fijian villages, trust me.

This is the beach at the VoliVoli Resort we went to for Halloweenie. NO this is not anywhere near my house.....what is it with people thinking I'm Just around the corner from a beach.
THIS was one of my favorite parts of the night. Not only is this is a common dinner for a volunteer but this also shows just how a volunteer opens a can of tuna.
My sexy bula for the evening. Aka homemade coconut bra (that didn't make it after the first round of drinks...thanks Peace Corps Medical Tape)


Some of my favorite costumes of the evening. Lydia won the costume contest- dressed up as a sexy Ratu (chief)...look closely at the chest hair.


the evening consisted of some very exciting events: fire jumping. (aka you play the game of who can run and jump over the fire and who cant? Thank you Sweet Jisu to those who tried to fire jump also made. I felt proud to be part of the Fire Jumping club) and also BIOLUMINESCENCE!!! It REALLY exists! (You the part in the movie The BEach, with Leo Decaprio, and him and his french lady are making out in the ocean and all those plankton things are lighting up from the movement? well that's bioluminescence!) At about 1am, when the tide was insanely low, we went out and stomped around in the shallow water to find a bunch of bioluminescent friends. :0) That was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment